For 20 of her 25 years as a broadcast journalist, Kim Skubris has been a media trainer working with corporations and not-for-profit organisations around Australia. Her aim with one-on-one, and group workshops is to show clients that with knowledge they have power, and can overcome fear of being in the spotlight, pounced on by a journalist, or unravelling in times of crisis.
Still working as a broadcast journalist with the Seven Network, Kim ensures her training is practical, entertaining and easy to digest and works with camera operators she has known for decades “on the road”. The workshops are not death by powerpoint and bogged down with information booklets!
Kim has built a reputation as an experienced and ethical news journalist in Australia and overseas. She has reported on some of the country’s biggest stories including Schapelle Corby and Daniel Morcombe, and covered numerous natural disasters locally and internationally.
Her media training includes:
- understanding what makes a story;
- how to handle a journalist’s enquiry;
- key message construction; interview techniques;
- shedding light on media motives and deadlines;
- presentation tips;
- how to master video messages, lighting and sound set up at home or office, and delivery to your audience; and
- how to deliver a video CV.
Kim resigned from Seven News in 2015 to pursue her emcee, media and public speaking interests while juggling family commitments and continues to work in the Brisbane newsroom on a freelance basis.